Sunday 16 November 2014

Wellington and South

As I arrived in Wellington I once again had the disorienting experience of being plonked straight into the centre of a bustling city. As luck would have it there was a fireworks display in the harbour on my second night. I had slept through bonfire night in Taupo due to being exhausted from an entirely uneventful previous night. I figured the top of Mt Victoria park would be a fine place to view the display and I was not wrong. A good number of locals had also come to this panoramic viewing area and we got a fabulous display interspersed with fireworks set of by residents. I also visited the museum which tells you everything you need to know about the natural and human history of New Zealand.
Now you may have noticed in my last blog I rather matter of factly reclalled falling of a mountain bike. This hurt me slightly and wasn't a problem until the yank of the parachute opening during my skydive made it worse. A trip to the doctors confirmed that I had fractured a rib. There isn't much to do but allow it to heal and refrain from extreme activities.
On my last day in Wellington I went on a walk down to the coast to see some seals. There are operators offering to take you there in an off road vehicle for 100 dollars but I was far too adventurous/tight to take this option. At one point the wind was so strong I could barely walk against it but of course this wasn't going to stop me. I got to my destination and found two well camouflaged seals basking in the sun. On my return I was picked up by Kate who is a friend of the family. She was kind enough to treat me to a delightful meal at a Mexican after walking the dog. We got on very well and will meet again when I come back through Wellington.
I am now loitering in the Sunny town of Motueka. This is near the Abel Tasman national park which has stunning white sandy beaches making it feel like a tropical paradise although it is more warm than hot. I had a walk along the coastal track which involved some wading through the sea at points. I am staying at Edens edge lodge (the area has an apple theme going) which has a fantastic view of the surrounding hillside. With it's perfect weather and sweeping views it doesn't take much to make me stay here longer.

1 comment: